Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Rest of Chapter 1

This is the second part to chapter 1 of my novel. Enjoy!


"Who are you?" Quito demanded, stepping forward.


"I am not a who. No, I am a what." Answered the shimmering.


"Well, then. What are you? And how did you get here? The door and windows were closed."


"I have been sent here to help you. I do not need open doors and windows to get inside a building." It said, avoiding answering the question of what he was.


"Who sent you...? Quito began.


"What," corrected the shimmer.


"Who! What! Why should it matter!? You didn't even answer my question!" Quito said angrily.


"Quito, don't," whispered Adina.


"Quito, remember what happened the last time you got angry? You din't want to repeat the same mistake twice, boy." The shimmer said, gently in seemed.


Quito remembered all too well. Thinking back, Quito saw his mother, father and sister, Adina. They were arguing, his parents were. Arguing about Adina and him. Quito had been standing by the window, holding his sister close to him. Watching, waiting...


Opening his eyes, Quito said, "you're right. I don't want to repeat the same mistake twice, but please, won't you tell us what you are and where you came from and..." A groan interrupted him and he looked at Astra. She was sitting up, a confused, painful look on her face. 


"Astra! Are you all right, honey?" Quito asked, helping her up.


"Yes. Yes I am. What happened?" She asked. "Why are you all standing around like..." her eyes widened. 


Slowly, she went toward the shimmer with her hand outstretched. She looked up and whispered, "You've come. You have finally come! Oh, my dear, dear moon you have come at last..." She broke down and started to cry.


"My Start, do not cry. I'm sorry I was late, but there was some trouble I had to take care off first. But I am here now and I will help you and protect you." the moon said, shimmering as it spoke.


The others stared. no one could believe what they were seeing. It couldn't be real. It just couldn't. 


Finally, Cato asked, "Astra? Could you tell us what is going on? Why is the moon here? Shouldn't .. shouldn't it be up in the sky? 


"Astra looked at the others and then nodded, saying, "yes, you might as well know everything." 


Sitting down, they looked at her expectantly. Taking a deep breath, she began her story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment